Monday, May 2, 2011

Tasmanian Times Pt.II

Taking a well deserved break atop Marion's Lookout
  Day three on our Tasmania Tour consisted of a gruelling hike up Marion's Lookout to get a spectacular view of Cradle Mountain and it's surrounding valley. Cradle Valley is the start of the Overland Track, which takes around
six days to complete. I met two girls just starting their hike, and they were each carrying 20kg worth of supplies! While I'm sure it's a difficult hike, it's said to be well worth it. After Cradle Mountain, the bus took us over to a honey museum (delicious free samples, I bought a chocolate orange honey...Mmmmm....) and also to a hot smoked salmon tasting.
Cataract Gorge

On day four we checked out the beautiful Cataract Gorge near the town of Launceston, a cheese factory and then on to Bay of Fires. I just gotta say that so far, I think Bay of Fires is my favorite beach. With sand as white as sugar and water as clear and blue as you see in postcards from tropical dream locations, it is absolutely stunning. Add piles of giant red coloured boulders, a gorgeous sunny day and mezmerising powerful waves rolling through; it was a slice of heaven!I will never forget how wonderfully relaxing and refreshing that was especially after all those days of hiking.
Checkin' out the water at Bay of Fires
 It was quite obvious to me why Lonely Planet rated is as the number one destination in 2009.
View from the rocks at Bay of Fires

No comments: