Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bushweek Festival


Far North Queensland, how gloriously beautiful! I difinitely reckon I could live here. Lovely weather (in the winter at least!), beautiful beaches and some of the oldest rainforests in the world. Being a total tree person, I was definitely in my element. 


Volunteer hands built this awesome stage!
 Bushweek! Let me tell you a little bit about it. It's a week long festival where, during the first few days people are incouraged to volunteer their time helping to build the stages that we would be dancing at during the weekend. I really found the creativity and resourcefulness of the people building the stages to be quite inspiring. Using mostly materials found in nature we built the main stage in the image of an old mans face, with the Djs spittin out tunes from inside the mouth. We also put up a bamboo gate that you could sit on top of and massive 20 person hammocks that were great fun to swing on.

Palm frawn weaving to create the face

There was a stunning waterfall about an hours hike through the rainforest, a nice cool stream to play in, a movie dome where interesting and weird doco's played in the evening, merchant tents and workshops. I spent my time volunteering with stage construction and helping in the kitchen, partaking in a few workshops (like silks- so much fun! Silks, or ariel acrobatics, if you don't know, is a piece of material hanging from a tree, beam etc. that you do acrobatics from), meeting new friends, and spending time at the rainbow camp... and of course, wanding around aimlessly, going whereever the flow took me! I enjoyed dancing to the bass heavy music and bought myself a crystal contact juggling ball. While Bushweek wasn't exactly what I was expecting, it was still a good time and I met heaps of new friends.
Tea time!

No comments: